Use small-group instruction as the centerpiece of your math workshop approach!
Use small-group instruction as the centerpiece of your math workshop approach, engaging all students in "math exchanges". Through math exchanges teachers guide the conversation, as students focus on number sense while developing problem-solving strategies.
Written for practicing teachers, the book shows teachers how to set up and manage math workshops and then provides specific grade-appropriate lessons taking advantage of this approach, answers such questions as:
- How can I use a math workshop approach, follow a certain textbook, or set of standards?
- How should I form small groups? and How often should I meet with them?
- What should I focus on in small groups?
- How can I tell if my groups are making progress?
- What do small-group math exchanges look like, sound like, and feel like?